Tuesday, April 29, 2008

second restatement of tortes

It's that time of the year again. Finals period. First up is Torts, and I am currently aswim in notes on strict liability and joint liability and alternative liability and I've been feeling overwhelmed enough that I might soon become a liability myself.

Which is why I'm going to leave my notes alone for a few hours and bake a torte. An Earl Grey chocolate torte, to be precise. It seems only appropriate, as I've been drinking gallons of tea as I (try to) study. Sadly, I don't think it's doing anything for my mental acuity.

Maybe chocolate will make all the difference?

Disclaimer: The writer of this recipe (henceforth "Writer") claims no responsibility for any injury, mishap, accident, disaster, or act of God that arises from an attempt to prepare the Earl Grey Chocolate Torte (henceforth "Torte"), including but not limited to malfunctioning mixers, burnt chocolate, grease splatters, exploding ovens, and stampeding hordes of wild zebras. The Writer is not responsible if your friends, parents, significant other(s), spouse, or pets are not appreciative of your attempts to prepare the Torte. (Particularly not if it involves grounding or banishment to the couch.) The Writer also disavows all responsibility should you or any other party consume too much Torte and make yourselves sick.


Earl Grey Chocolate Torte

Appended notes: The quantity of tea specified in the recipe is for supermarket-variety teabags. If you're using anything fancy or loose-leaf, you'll only want a heaped teaspoonful, and the leaves should be crushed up a little.

(Recipe not for one.)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8-inch cake tin.

Melt one stick of butter in a mixing bowl over simmering water. When the butter has melted, tear open two Earl Grey teabags and tip their contents in. Stir.

Allow the tea to infuse for five minutes, then add one-and-a-quarter cups of dark chocolate chips and stir until they melt.

Beat four eggs until thick and foamy. Fold half the eggs into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the other half.

Fold half a cup of flour and a pinch of salt into the chocolate mixture until smooth and well-combined. Pour the batter into the prepared tin.

Bake for ten to fifteen minutes, or until torte is barely wobbly in the middle. Turn out onto a cake rack. Glaze with warmed marmalade (thin it with a little water), and serve with whipped cream.

13 comments:

Alex said...

mmmm orange rind.

What a wonderful thing to see when I walk in the door!

Lisa Cornelius said...

Sounds devine! I must make this one.

Virgin In The Volcano said...

Can you imagine the baking/cooking extravaganza after contracts is over?!

adele said...

I'm considering bringing greenacre cake to the Property exam.

Ann said...

I'm so glad you're cooking your way through law school!

Kim said...

Adele- I like the torte, sounds wonderful! Do you have chocolate smudges on your notes? Also, your disclaimer is soooo incredible..........A soon to be lawyer/chef with a sense of humor and a grand one at that!
I am giggling early this morning while drinking my coffee.

adele said...

Kim - Chocolate smudges on my notes? No, those aren't chocolate smudges... they're just... um... dirt. Yes, dirt.

I'm glad someone got a laugh out of the disclaimer. :)

tammy said...

Lordy, that sounds good.

Cakelaw said...

I'm in heaven - this looks devine! Hope the exam went well.

adele said...

I made it through Torts alive. I should come out of Property bruised but still intact. Civ Pro is going to do a number on me, though...

Googie Baba said...

Ha! You should be nervous. I am going to try it for Friday dessert. If it works out, I will send you a photo. If not, I'll just pretend this conversation never happened.

Googie Baba said...

Hey Basil Queen, made the torte tonight. It was delicious. Didn't have marmalade so I used strawberry jam and it worked just fine. Plus, my wife is all about your site now. I think we are going to try the key lime thingy next.

adele said...

I'm glad it turned out well.

*breathes quiet sigh of relief*