Tuesday, June 10, 2008

an apology in peaches and raspberries

I need to apologize to all of Boston and a large chunk of the Northeast. Apparently the heatwave is all my fault: according to Matt, I displeased the weather gods by complaining about the wet, cold weather we had last week, and they responded with a vengeance.

So to everyone in the Northeast: I'm really, really sorry.

Consider the following recipe a peace offering. I know it won't make up for the heat, but it might make it a little more bearable.

Does anyone have any advice on how to un-displease weather gods?


Poached Peaches with Raspberries and Basil

This makes for a good weekend breakfast, or a light dessert.

(Serves one)

Take one ripe peach or nectarine, skin it, and cut it into slices. Put the slices in a small saucepan with just a little sugar - a teaspoon or two - and cover with water. Bring to a low simmer and cook until the peach is soft.

Add a generous handful of raspberries to the pan. Cook until the mixture is tinted pink and you can smell both the peach and the raspberries.

Remove the pan from heat, and add a few torn leaves of fresh basil. Transfer the mixture to a big bowl and allow it to cool. Serve at room temperature, or chill further in the fridge.

Serve with thick Greek yogurt, fresh ricotta, or mascarpone.

9 comments:

Joey Brunelle said...

Sweet Jesus this sounds delicious. Apology accepted!!

I am now in Boston - we should hang out!! And tell Matt too....I'll hit him up next.

-joey

adele said...

You've arrived. Excellent.

Indeed, we should hang out. And cook.

Ann said...

You ROASTED in this weather?

adele said...

Roast? No... just poaching.

Katy said...

Ok, I will forgive you, but this heat is brutal!

Ann said...

Wow... I was so addled by the heat that I read "poached" as "roasted"!

k & k said...

I have got to make this!

Julie said...

What a great breakfast, especially for hot weather.

Katherine said...

I finally made this, though for me it was less about the peaches than the black raspberries and the whole-milk yogurt. The peaches and yogurt were from the Amherst Farmers' Market; the berries I'd picked wild and stored in my freezer.

Anyway, I just had it for dinner, and it was delectable and gorgeous. I love what the raspberry juice does to the color of the peaches. They almost glow.